Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007

SwissGroove: Back then...how it all started

Between 1998 and 2000, I was living in Finland, where the days are short and dark in winter and long and bright during summertime and where the air is as fresh as the skin of a new born and the sky as clear as a starched white shirt (and the taxes as high as the skyscrapers of Big Apple).

As I've been working as a Flight Attendant for almost all my life, I wouldn't really have to worry about commuting between my working place and the city I lived. It could actually be nearly anywhere on this planet. Theoretically. Practically...well, as long as airplanes fly according to schedule (which they usually don't) and as long as you're in love...nothing really matters.

There are many things said and written about the Finns, about Finland and about Santa Claus. And it's not all true. For example, not every Finnish household has its very own/private sauna, not all Finns are mute as a log, not all the Finns dance the tango and Santa Clause isn't a fairy tale.

But, when living there as a foreigner watching the Finns closely & looking at daily life carefully, you'll find so many peculiar features within this nation you'll hardly find anywhere else. And I should know what I'm talking about as I'm Swiss.

There were times when I spent most of the days outside but during wintertime, at -20 degrees celsius, one rather prefers to stay inside, watching YLE, cooking delicious dishes, taking extended naps, visiting the sauna, or just listening to Radio Stadi or, later, GrooveFM.

Read on...my next blog called "Low-budget Radio"...

Keine Kommentare: